The scope of work for the redevelopment of the Melbourne GPO, as a major retail precinct, included:
- The completion of the 1867 Postal Hall base building and heritage work in preparation for individual tenancy shop-fitting
- The part demolition of the four levels of the 1906 northern extension to create a new atrium and the addition of a new five level curtain walled concrete extension on the remaining northern section of the site.
All construction work relating to the existing building required stringent adherence to heritage requirements. This included demolition work, restoration and refurbishment as well as the connection and bending of the new building to the existing and the fitout of the retail tenancies.
The most challenging aspect of the construction was the partial demolition of the 1906 building to create the atrium / escalator void and connection to the new building. The constraints of the CBD site required detailed planning, coordination and traffic management.