10 Macquarie St, Sydney NSW 2000
The project involved the adaptive reuse of heritage industrial buildings behind The Mint Offices in Macquarie Street, Sydney, into new head office premises for the Historic Houses Trust of NSW.
The historic structures are part of the original working buildings of The Mint, which were prefabricated in London and shipped to the NSW colony assembled in 1854.
The buildings were adapted and re-used for many purposes in their 150 years history. Only the central part of the original building remained and these were restored. The original wings to the north and south were reinterpreted in a contemporary way.
St Hilliers worked closely with the architects to deliver this project, which combines the best in building conservation and contemporary architecture.