Cultana and Murray Bridge, SA
The project involved civil works at both Cultana and Murray Bridge Defence bases in South Australia.
The scope of works at Cultana (CUTA) included:
- Standard Grenade Range Refurbishment: remediation of a number of issues that impacted range certification including, general civil works to the target area, installation of footpaths, replacement of ballistic glass and other general building works;
- 400m Classification Range Refurbishment: remediation of a number of issues that impacted range certification including, target and lane signage, re-grading and compacting the target mantlet, grooming the range floor to remove rocks/vegetation, extending retaining walls and other general building works;
- Intersection Upgrade and Tank Crossing Hardening: hardening and reshaping of the intersection and crossing points to enable continued safe use of military vehicles including, replacement of culverts and rock beaching, removal of cattle grids, installation of road furniture and upgrades to pavement types.
The scope of works at Murray Bridge (MUTA) included:
- Road Upgrade: the unsealed road (6km) was graded and levelled across the northern portion of the base to facilitate safe access. The existing pavement was graded, rolled and tyned in preparation for overlay. New Crushed Rock overlay was placed and compacted to specification, including the installation of road furniture.
- Standard Grenade Range Refurbishment: works were required to regain certification of the Standard Grenade Range including civil works to the target area, installation of footpaths, seating, doors, replacement of ballistic glass and other general building works.
Innovations were implemented at both sites to overcome challenges and ensure value for money was achieved for the client. Significant up front planning was undertaken to ensure the required approvals were obtained and local material suppliers were sourced prior to works taking place.