341 George Street – Restoration of an historic building
Located in Sydneys CBD, 341 George Street, which was built in 1932, is a heritage listed 13 storey office building.
St Hilliers undertook major strip-out and demolition works to the existing interior. This included strip-out and replacement of all existing services systems.
Adaptive reuse and restoration of heritage fabrics such as marble, scagliola and terazzo walls and floors of the interior were part of the scope of works. Restoration of external sandstone walls and metal framed windows was also undertaken.
Installation of new building services, a new lift shaft with two lift cars, and an A-grade commercial fitout designed to achieve a 4.5 ABGR rating were incorporated into the existing building fabric.
The demolition stage posed significant challenges for the project team with the removal of extensive asbestos and other hazardous materials.
The new lift shaft restoration and construction was formed through all levels of the building and required careful construction so as not to damage sensitive heritage fabric.
The first four levels of the building house Westpac Banking Corporations flagship branch.
St Hilliers was commissioned by several building tenants to complete their integrated fitiouts on Levels 3 to 8. St Hilliers was able to program these works with the completion of base building works providing tenants with early occupation.