Mining in the MWRC region has been ongoing since the 1920’s and an increase in mining activity in recent decades has seen a corresponding increase in the volume of heavy traffic along Wollar Road.
MWRC has secured funding through the NSW Government’s Resources for Regions funding package for mine affected communities to develop an alternative access road to the Hunter from Bylong to Wollar.
The section of the Wollar Road relating to this work is classed as a collector road and is two-way, two lane rural road. Following reconstruction works, the road will have a total width of 9.5km, made up of 8.5m sealed section and two 0.5m wide unsealed sections on the edges.
St Hilliers was awarded the Wollar Road Stage 4 project which includes the reconstruction of the final 5km of Wollar Road, starting approximately 12km from the start of the gravel section of Wollar Road and finishing approximately 600m from the intersection with Bylong Valley Way.
Reconstruction works are to include but not limited to:
- The provision of traffic control
- Clearing of the site
- Installation and maintenance of sedimentation and erosion control measures
- Construction of table drains
- Installation of subsurface drainage infrastructure and subsoil drainage
- Pavement reconstruction
- Bitumen sealing of reconstructed sections
- Line marking
- Re-establishment of signage
- Regeneration of disturbed areas